Saturday 14 May 2016

What I learned this week 06/04/16 and 13/05/16

So I didn't get to publish my post last Friday. Went to bed with a migraine when I got in from work and between a derby game, being busy at work and other life stuff, I had no free time to sit down and write until it was Friday again. So here's what I learned this er, fortnight...

1. My zero waste challenge was a little scuppered when I washed out some stuff to take home and recycle and the cleaners threw it in the bin. I was really good at taking things to work in re-usable containers and eating loads of fruit. I slightly changed how I shop so that I can cook more from scratch and my boss called me "a bit of a hippy" so I think I'm on track. Downside was we had an inspection at work and I had a mid-week McDonald's. Next week is national vegetarian week so no more of that!
I also found out about a load more products that contain palm oil and got angry about it; so more checking the ingredients when shopping...

2. The #SeeMySelfie campaign got well under way. Other than my concerns about spamming my Insta followers with a whole lot of pictures of my face, I've found I quite enjoy it. I also enjoy any challenge that gets me to take a photo every day, it's like creating a little diary. I made the decision to put my account on public and nothing terrible happened. It's been an all round positive experience and I hope to get involved in more Girl Gang stuff soon.

3. I got angry about a load of things in education that probably don't need repeating right now. But it made me realise it really is the teachers who make a school. This was my 6th OFSTED inspection and I not only do I now know that it's the things you do every day that makes a difference, but I do all those things well. I'm much more reflective and well organised and the cleaners (after throwing away my recycling) described me as tidy - did you hear that, mum?

4. In derby training, we drilled hip/ body checking at speed. I hated it, I didn't think I could do it but I did. Then I actually did it in a game! However, I don't feel like I played my best game. There are still lots of things I do in training that I don't put into action and it's my goal to do more of these. This week we had chartering, so very intense skills and drills throughout. It was brilliant to have everyone on track. I was really proud of our newer skaters, who I coached from the start, holding their own with the Angels. It was a good marker of progress for everyone. My speed and acceleration has massively increased over the last few months, although apparently not enough to be able to do 10 laps in 90 seconds, so that's going on the list of goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment