Monday 30 May 2016

What I learned this week [29/05/16]

Sunday post because it rounds the week off better and I did a random pedagogy post.

1. My name is Ju and it has been 2 weeks since I used a paper towel in my house. I really didn't think I would be able to do this one, but it was an "easy win" for reducing waste. When I finished the roll of kitchen roll, I didn't get a new one from the pack upstairs. I used cloths and tea towels - the idea being that these go in a wash you're going to do of laundry anyway. Although, from reading American blogs, they don't seem to have tea towels, what? I think they have them in bars and restaurants and stuff, but by a different name. I did use some kitchen roll at work when we had a buffet and something got spilled. I've tried not to use the paper towels you dry your hands on whenever possible - easier in summer - but this is difficult and also it's meant to be more hygienic to dry your hands on these than any other method. This weekend I gave the Tassimo machine some time off and drank filter coffee instead.

2. We had loads of fun in roller derby this week doing chest blocking. I got some tips from more experienced skaters and then the chance to try them out when our Sunday session was coached by Stew, one of our refs. We had to think a little bit more like the men's derby game to really use this, but I think chest blocking is a great tool in the box and I will be trying to use it more.

3. At school, we had more training on collaborative learning and I re-arranged the desks again. They are all now labelled up and seating plans using data are well on their way. I labelled them with the colours of the rainbow because all work and no play and all that!

No comments:

Post a Comment