Tuesday 5 July 2016

Here's what I learned about making decisions [1 July 2016]

In the week after the nation made a huge and ridiculous decision, I found that I had a couple of my own to make.

The biggest was about work. Having just accepted a new job (yay me!), I was offered a position at the place where I used to work previously. It was a case of the head versus the heart. I only spoke to a small number of people about it but the advice was: sum up the pros and cons, you will be letting someone down so try not to make it personal, and think about the long term. I think I did all these things. it was tough, but I went with the head for a number of reasons, and for possible future career opportunities. On Friday I was offered a compromise, which would have allowed me to go back to the previous school for the couple of months before the new job starts. Went into the weekend pretty happy but by Monday that deal was off the table. Time for another adventure in the unexpected I suppose! What I learned is that although the whole thing was pretty stressful (on top of a fraught week at work), I kept communicating, I didn't stick my head in the sand and I made a decision rather than letting it happen to me.

The other decision was entirely a personal one and literally only one person knows about it. I've never really been someone who goes out to get a thing simply because. Perhaps as a result of doing this with the new job, and almost definitely as a result of previously mentioned stressful week, I went out and did it. I put myself out there in a way I've rarely done before... and it paid off. And I hope this is a GOOD THING and I'm really excited (ooh, mystery!)

No comments:

Post a Comment