Saturday 25 June 2016

This is what I learned... from the EU referendum

I thought I hadn't posted for a week or so... turns out not since May, oops!
Much of my energies have gone into school work and political involvement. Planning lessons has actually been creative and fun so I didn't mind doing that. The rage got somewhat channelled into some campaigning and discussing.

In the meantime, I had an interview and got a new job, but it doesn't start for ages yet!

My bamboo toothbrush arrived and it was so weird at first but I'm used to it now and I'm not going back to plastic (it's a pack of 5 so I'm good for while).

Overall, the referendum was a horrible and divisive experience. Going to a vigil after the the Orlando shootings restored some of my faith in people in general, the people of Hull and I was proud of the local LGBT+ community for showing up and coming together in a peaceful act. Then the MP, Jo Cox, was shot. The official campaigning was shut down for a few days. I hoped people might wake up and realise that so many petty and unrelated things had been said and the country was just not a pleasant place to be. It reached a fever pitch on polling day. Then it was all over. I had a lovely day teaching, singing with my colleagues, scrimming with my team; went to bed exhausted... and then yesterday I woke up in a different world. Made it through the day at school. Went to the pub to drown our sorrows. I couldn't sleep so I read a lot and antagonised leave voters a bit on social media.

It seems the leave vote was partly working class and partly the wealthiest people of the nation. Overwhelmingly they are white - some may be first or second generation immigrants but not anyone that I know. People have tried to defend themselves saying they aren't racist and they did it for the good of the UK. They didn't, and there probably won't be a UK for much longer. I think these people acted out of self-interest and we are now seeing the consequence. Several of my friends have children who are mixed race or of mixed heritage and they are genuinely afraid for their kids. I am worried what it means for the NHS, for human rights, for my pension and my house.

As always, I will fight. We're organising and I'm going to every meeting and demonstration I can afford to go to....

No comments:

Post a Comment